Earlier this week my mom texted me a picture of muffins. As soon as I saw the sugar crumbles and enormous blueberries, I asked her to share the recipe. Imagine my surprise and elation when she responded with,
“I came up with the recipe from scratch after referencing two different cookbooks. You can share them on your blog!”
The delicious muffins are bursting with blueberry flavor and delicious sugar topping crunch. In fact, my dad personally attested to this claim after enjoying two warm from the oven. My mom created this recipe after picking fresh blueberries from her friend Kay’s farm. What better way to put fresh wild blueberries to good use than an easy to make, portable, and delicious muffin recipe? You can make them a bit healthier if you’d like by using light buttermilk in place of the regular buttermilk and applesauce in place of the vegetable oil. But, realize this will affect the consistency of the muffin, making it more sponge like. Below the recipe I include both the nutritional stats for the original recipe and the lightened version. Enjoy!
Wild Blueberry Oat Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes+20 minutes standing time
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts I used walnuts
2 cups blueberries, divided
1 tablespoon sugar in the raw
1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
3. In a large bowl, stir together oats and buttermilk; let stand for 10 minutes.
4. Add sugar, oil, orange zest and egg,stirring well.
5. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
6. Add nuts.
7. Add flour mixture into oatmeal mixture, stirring just until combined.
8. Gently, fold in 1 1/2 cups berries.
9. Spoon batter into muffin cups.Sprinkle with remaining berries and sugar in the raw.
10. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Remove from pan and cool completely.
Hope you enjoy these as much as she and my father did!