Greetings from the friendly skies! I am currently en route to Las Vegas for my company’s annual sales meeting. While the week will be extremely busy and filled with long days, I’m looking forward to catching up with old friends and mentors and enjoying some fun in Vegas. Tonight we’re going to Beatles Love by Cirque du Soleil and Wednesday night we are going to see Backstreet Boys. Needless to say, I think I’ll need to jam out to some old school Backstreet Boys during this week’s hotel workouts.
This weekend was a fun-filled weekend with lots of friend time.
- The weekend started with a tough Xtend Barre workout with Heather and Melissa. I’ve said it before but Xtend Barre is unlike any barre class I’ve taken before. Within five minutes of starting the beads of sweat are beginning to pool and my arms are burning. Taking the class with friends made the time fly by quickly as we gave each other glances during the tough parts and enjoyed some quick dance parties during the transitions as Friday’s playlist was a fun one.
- After the workout Heather and I ended up enjoying fun evening together which included a dinner and dessert date in Brooklyn. It was fun to spend time together outside of workout gear or Orangetheory while enjoying pizza and cocktails (mocktails for me) at Boutros and oreo cheesecake at Mia’s.
- Saturday morning I met some of my favorite ladies (Evann, Kayla, Theodora, Meaghan, Ashley, and Heather) at the Park Slope Orangetheory for a workout and brunch date. We powered through a strength workout which was one of the harder ones I’ve done – 30 minutes on the treadmill with LOTS of hills and then 30 minutes of strength. It was a blast working out with these ladies as we were dancing in between sets and on the treadmill, giving each other high fives and just smiling the entire workout. After the workout we headed to Bergen Bagels for delicious bagel sandwiches and some much-needed catch up time while enjoying the sunshine and gorgeous weather.
- After enjoying a nap I headed to the Upper West Side to celebrate Zoe’s 30th birthday. Zoe and I met in London through Charlie a few years ago and it has been so fun to have she and her boyfriend in New York City. While I don’t make it up to the Upper West Side that often, it was a fun afternoon of nachos, laughter and having the opportunity to celebrate the birthday girl while meeting some of her friends.
- Yesterday Bo and I spent the day deep cleaning our apartment and working on a few projects before hosting some of our Geneva friends for a dinner. There was lots to celebrate including an engagement and a birthday. Even though it had been a while since we’d all spent an evening together, as one of them lives in Boston, the laughter and conversation flowed for hours.
Hope you had a great weekend! I’ll do my best to share my Las Vegas adventures and how I strive for moderation and a healthy balance while traveling via Snapchat (@healthyhappier) and Insta Stories!
Am I the only one who feels this short week was actually the longest week ever? My inbox and to do list is out of control but luckily, there are just a few more hours until I can relax and unplug. This weekend is all about spending time with friends. Tonight I’m heading to XTend Barre for an evening workout with Melissa and Heather then tomorrow morning a group of us are working out at Orangetheory together before catching up over brunch. What are your weekend plans?
Now, let’s dive into this week’s edition of Friday Favorites, including recipes, articles, posts and other things that caught my eye this week.
- Two different friends shared this one-pot chicken recipe on Facebook this week which means it’s been added to my weeknight list of meals. Since I’m traveling next week, I won’t be making it until the following week but is it crazy to say I’m already excited? It brings together some of my favorite flavors – shallots, dijon and white wine!
- Speaking of next week’s travel, I took everyone’s recommendations and stocked up on RX and GoMacro bars to keep me fueled during the long days of conferences and meetings. What is your favorite high protein bar?
- As a runner, I’ve lived through the roller coaster of emotions when running has been tougher than normal. Whether it’s due to outside stress, lack of training or other drivers this list of 10 Non-PR running goals is a great way to bring the fun back to running while ignoring the watch.
- You guys, for years I’ve been obsessed with accessories. These days my typical wardrobe tends to be a bit conservative since I’ve had a hard time finding fun, colorful maternity clothing, but with a pop of color and fun via accessories suddenly that outfit can go from traditional to trendy. I’m in love with BaubleBar’s Spring collection including these statement earrings, this layer necklace and these fun shell earrings. I just ordered these to add some pizzazz to my maternity outfits this Spring and Summer. If you’ve never shopped BaubleBar before, you get 15% off your first order!
- Bo and I have both made a concerted effort to cook at home more often so we have healthy, delicious dinner and lunch options easily available. This round-up of 20 healthy dinners you can prep on Sunday is a great source of inspiration if you need that final kick to start meal prepping.
- Since reading the articles about Cookie Do NYC I’ve wanted to try this new, fad food but can’t stomach the idea of spending two hours in line. This morning I discovered that Blank Slate NYC sells the small and medium sizes of four different Do flavors! If you want to try the dough and avoid the lines, I highly recommend stopping in this adorable coffee shop.
- I’ve really enjoyed reading about Julia’s pregnancy journey thus far and hope that she continues sharing her fashion tips and journey with readers. How adorable is she in this Vineyard Vines maxi dress?
Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored and instead is a list of the things of my favorite things this week. As normal, it includes lots of beauty and fashion items which means there are a few affiliate links via ShopStyle. It takes time and money to maintain a blog so I thank you for the support and few cents that come from clicking through the links!
Before I got pregnant, I thought that I would spend the nine months running and sweating in the same way as before. I had visions of finishing multiple races while wearing a fun pregnancy tank, further developing my muscles and strength during high intensity workouts and continuing to explore and try different NYC boutique fitness workouts via ClassPass.
I quickly realized, that pregnancy is unique for each person. Personally, I found it virtually impossible to workout during weeks 7-12 of pregnancy due to exhaustion and some nausea. Over the past 11 weeks I have luckily been able to return to a consistent workout routine, averaging six workouts per week. However, my weekly workout schedule has evolved and quite different than what I did before.
- Most weeks, my workout schedule is as follows:
Instead of trying multiple studios and teachers per month, I am more focused. Each of the above workouts leave me feeling strong, energize and most of all – safe. The instructors are able to easily provide me with prenatal adjustments while also focusing on form and technique. These workouts are also helping me prepare for the marathon that will is child birth and being a new mom. These workouts also take place in Brooklyn, which is quite an adjustment from my previous routine. Walking to workouts allows me to enjoy some fresh air and extra movement while also saving on commute time.
In addition to changing my routine and class choices, I’ve also had to make some changes to my workout gear. By the time I entered my second trimester, my body was significantly growing and changing. Suddenly I felt as if I had no workout clothes, even though my dresser drawers were filled with sports bras, leggings and tops. I did my best to resist buying things but then realized that the last thing I wanted to feel or resemble while working out was a stuffed sausage. I spent an afternoon going through my dresser and made three piles – donate, keep but store for after pregnancy, and keep to wear now. Once I purged my drawers I invested in a few pieces that would allow me to feel confident and comfortable while working out.
Here is the workout gear that I’ve been loving during pregnancy.
- For Two Fitness Tank – I love this comfortable tank as it comes in a number of colors, is flattering and very comfortable. The technical fabric and long length ensures that the top stays in place and I stay cool during every workout This makes a perfect gift for a new mom who enjoys working out and wants to share her news with everyone.
- Brooks Pick-Up Tank Top – This was one of my favorite workout tanks before pregnancy but now that I am the proud owner of a growing bump, I’ve fallen even more in love with it. Available in more than 15 different colors, this affordable tank ranges in price from $21-$42 depending on color and is so soft and stretchy. In fact, it’s so long and stretchy that I am still able to wear my pre-pregnancy size though I finally ordered 2 new tanks in a size larger to enjoy during the rest of pregnancy. My friend who is also pregnant raves about the higher neck so she isn’t constantly flashing people during workouts and I love the skimming shape.
- Brooks Juno and Brooks Fiona Sports Bras – The first piece of workout gear I had to invest in during pregnancy were new sports bras. My 36A sports bras were uncomfortably tight within the first trimester as I rapidly grew from a 36A to a 36C. Now, at week 23 I’m between a C and a D but luckily, thanks to the adjustable straps on each of these styles, I’m still enjoying both bras. The molded cups limit my headlights during workouts and the light compression provides me with the support I need. Many of my mom friends recommended these bra styles as they can also be used for nursing after I give birth. In addition, Brooks sells these bras in almost every size beginning at 30B and going up to 44DD.
- Nike Power Epic Running Tights – I’ve been surprised to find myself reaching for these black tights week after week, even as my stomach and body grows. They stretch more than any of my other leggings and the mesh details on the calf help keep me cool.
Your turn: If you’re pregnant or have been pregnant before, what were your favorite pieces of workout gear? Unfortunately, it seems like most brands have discontinued or limited their maternity gear over the past few years, as when I read older blog posts or articles, more than half the links and lines no longer exist.