Hey friends! I hope you guys had a great weekend. I have so much to share with you all but lately, as Bo and I have had more on our plate as we prepare for Baby Girl Diamond, I’m really trying to disconnect on the weekends which is when I used to draft a lot of my posts. So, until I have time to dedicate to some lengthy posts, this week’s posts may be a bit shorter than normal. However, I’m doing my best to ensure the posts I do share will be relevant, not solely pregnancy focused and helpful.
Today’s post is a tasty one that was inspired by my friend and fellow blogger, Anne. On Friday, after seeing an egg salad sandwich on her blog earlier that morning, I found myself dreaming of egg salad when it was time to make lunch. Since I was working from home, I had the ability to go into the kitchen and whip up lunch from scratch. Luckily, with a quick glance in the refrigerator, I realized that I had all the ingredients necessary to make a healthy, egg salad sandwich.
This egg salad recipe is not the traditional recipe my mother, grandmother and mother-in-law make that includes Duke’s Mayonaisse. Instead, it’s a healthier version that gets creaminess and extra protein from Greek yogurt and a kick of flavor from roasted red pepper hummus. There are still a few traditional ingredients like celery, since I always like the crunch it provides.
If you haven’t hard-boiled eggs recently or have a hard time peeling your eggs, I highly recommend this blog post as the directions are super clear and worked perfectly.
Healthy Egg Salad
This healthy egg salad recipe uses hummus and Greek yogurt instead of mayonaise, resulting in a protein-packed and flavorful combination. Perfect to enjoy on a sandwich or salad, this will keep you fueled all afternoon.
Yield: Serves 1 or 2 smaller portions
- 2 peeled, hard-boiled eggs
- 1 1/2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper hummus
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Any of your favorite herbs for flavor or kick – red pepper flakes, fresh or dried parsley or oregano, etc.
- Place two, peeled hard boiled eggs in a medium bowl.
- Cut them or smash/slice with a fork so that they are in tiny, diced pieces.
- Add celery, Greek yogurt, hummus, mustard, relish, salt, pepper and herbs/spices.
- Stir until well combined.
- Serve egg salad on top of salad, your favorite toast or as a sandwich. If you go the sandwich route, a few sliced tomatoes, lettuce and an extra smear of hummus make perfect toppings.