I don’t know about you guys, but the cool, rainy weather in New York City has me wanting to curl up in bed with a warm cup of tea, cozy blanket and a good book. While I can’t do that during the day, regardless how strong the temptation, I have found myself spending more time reading at night. As I mentioned a while back, I have found that I sleep better when I read for 30 minutes before bed instead of watching television, reading blogs or scrolling Instagram. In addition, the third trimester aches have me craving a warm, soothing bath almost nightly which provides another perfect time to read.
Based on the feedback I received on Instagram and Facebook when I shared this list last night, I thought it would be fun to share it on the blog today and hopefully share it more regularly since I’m reading more frequently. I love getting book suggestions from friends and other bloggers, such as Grace, so why not share with you guys too?
If you’re looking for more inspiration or more frequent updates, you can follow me on Goodreads. My “to read” list is more than 100 books long as I find myself adding new books on a weekly basis; a far faster pace than I read a book these days.
- Bringing Up Bebe – Bo and I are both reading this book that discusses the many ways French parenting differs from the common American parenting methods. Having lived in Geneva, Switzerland for two years we saw a great deal of this come to life as it is located in the French speaking region of Switzerland and therefore highly influenced by French culture. I love that this isn’t a book that preaches to readers, instead it is a memoir of the author’s experience becoming pregnant and then subsequently raising children in Paris.
- Paris for One and Other Stories – Jojo Moyes is one of my favorite authors, especially when I’m in the mood for a lighter read. After numerous friends, and my mom, recommended this colection of novellas, I knew I needed to add my name to the library waiting list. I started this last night and can already tell that I’ll finish it before Friday as it is entertaining, engaging and I find myself curious of what the next story will hold.
- A Man Called Ove – I started this book earlier this year but never made it past the second chapter. I can’t remember why I put it down but after seeing this reappear on my Goodreads list multiple times as well as hearing about it from a few of my close friends, I finally decided to check it out this week. In fact, when I look on Goodreads, more than 50 of my friends gave this book five stars! WOW! I have a feeling this pregnant momma will be shedding a few tears as I read this book.
- Happiest Baby on the Block – Let me begin by saying that yes, after last night’s post, I know realize that we should watch the movie as it brings the methods and actions to life. But, before last night, this book was on my reading list as more than 20 different moms from all walks of life recommended this book and said that it was the most important book they read while they were pregnant or raising a newborn. A lot of people say that the book is longer than it needs to be and that for this reason the DVD can meet the needs better, but I hope to garner at least a few tidbits of applicable advice from the book.
These are the books that I am currently reading or keeping on my nightstand. Once these are done, here are a few towards the top of my list.
- The Night The Lights Went Out
- Moms On call Basic Baby Care – 0-6 months
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Tell me: What book are you reading or did you recently read that you loved and would recommend?
Thank you to Alexis Damen for the beautiful photo.