You’d never know, based on the weather, that it’s October. This weekend we wore shorts and t-shirts while running errands and hanging out in Brooklyn. I fully believe there is a time and a place for 80 degree temperatures, but October is not it. I am yearning the New York fall that people reference in movies like You’ve Got Mail. The cool, crisp days that beckon me to sip warm coffee, wear slippers at night and throw on a sweater before leaving the house. Our kitchen, as well as the local farmer’s market, reflected the seasonal transition as there was a bounty of fresh tomatoes, corn and the first tastes of pumpkin and butternut squash this weekend.
When my friends at Cabot Creamery Co-operative and Nellie’s Free Range Eggs asked me to create a recipe using ingredients from these two brands, my mind immediately went to a frittata. These days, things in the kitchen need to be kept simple, especially if I’m trying to cook during the day. Frittatas allow me to enjoy a hearty egg dish with very little mess or stress! They typically only requires one bowl, can include just about any different flavor or ingredient you’re craving, and I don’t have to deal with the stress or mess that comes with quiche crusts. Inspired by our final harvest of basil and tomatoes from our backyard garden, I whipped up a healthy and delicious Caprese Frittata for Bo and I to enjoy this weekend. I love the burst of flavor smaller tomatoes, such as our cherry tomatoes, give the dish while a healthy heaping of mozzarella cheese is enjoyed in every bite. I’ve tweaked this Caprese Frittata recipe a few times over the past few weeks. It has proven its versatility as it is a perfect brunch dish whether it is served with a warm cup of coffee, fruit and bacon or a simple side salad.
Available at Whole Foods and a number of different grocery stores in our area, I love that Nellie’s Free Range Eggs come from the first Certified Humane® farm in the country where the hens have as much, or as little, access to outside as they want. In addition, both Cabot and Nellie’s are B Corporations, meaning they meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance.
This delicious frittata recipe brings my favorite Italian flavors to life in the form of a delicious brunch dish.
- 8 Nellie’s Free Range eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, preferably cherry or other small tomatoes
- 6 ounces Cabot shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and garlic powder until well combined.
- Gently stir in shredded basil, tomatoes and cheese.
- Spray pie dish with non-stick spray.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, checking frequently and removing when middle is set and edges start to lightly brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy with side salad, fresh fruit or other favorite side dish.
Disclosure: Thank you to Nellie’s Eggs and Cabot Cheese for sponsoring this post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.